Two items that assist in saving on household finances are an efficient food budget and kitchen. One of the most effective methods of organizing the kitchen is designing a food pantry. It seems as though one of the most challenging elements of renting an apartment is being unable to modify floor design layouts that are not ideal. While does it requires a little imagination, resourcefulness, and ingenuity, it is possible. With a few tips, designing a food pantry is simple and is one of the biggest steps toward saving money and running an efficient kitchen.
The first step, whether the apartment has an existing pantry or it is necessary to fashion, one is to organize. Simple tasks create an amazing amount of space. Go through every single food item in the kitchen. Throw way any food items that are stale or out of date. Get rid of that which is never used and will never be eaten. These items do not have to be thrown away. Take unwanted food items to a local church, food bank, or give them to friends.
Another excellent thought for the organization process is to down size. This can be accomplished in two ways. The first is to remove all individually wrapped items that were purchased in a larger container. These are usually snack foods and may be placed in a single small, clear tote. The second is to purchase smaller amounts. For example, buy a personal sized container of shortening instead of a family sized version.
Roll Away Hidden Pantry
One idea is for space that may be available beside the refrigerator. Find a tall bookcase that is on the thinner side. This may be possible at a thrift store, a department store, or a member of the family may have one to spare. It will be necessary to mount wheels on the bottom of the bookcase for mobility. Dowel rods may be added to the front of each shelf to keep stored items stationary and secure. The materials to build the bookcase are available at any hardware store for those do it yourselfers of the world. This also allows for a great deal of customization. While choosing or building the bookcase, keep the following common height dimensions in mind.
- Large boxes such as cereal boxes may be accommodated by shelves that are 13 inches high.
- Shelves that are 7 inches high will accommodate can goods.
- Measure the items to be stored in the roll away hidden pantry before shopping for the bookcase itself or the materials to build it.
Ideas to Consider
There are a few nifty ideas for apartment dwells to consider even if it seems there is no space available for a pantry.
- If there is an available wall, a bookcase could be placed against it to store pantry items.
- There are shelves designed to hang on the back of pantry or closet doors. Some are thin to accommodate spices while others are wider for canned goods and such.
- There are stackable shelves on the market to store most anything. There are usually available singly as well as in sets. This make customization a cinch.
- Shoe pocket organizers are great for storing spices and other tiny items. These are meant to hang on a door; however, they can also be mounted to a wall with a hammer and a few nails.
- If there are existing shelves consider purchasing a few under the shelf wire rack add-ons. This turn existing shelves into double-deckers.